Thursday, January 17, 2008

Come Home

Several years ago, as I passed the fifty mark on the calendar of my life, I discovered a new and distinct desire to go deeper and pursue God more intentionally than ever before. I was awakened to the reality that we do ourselves no favors when we act and live as though Christianity were a stage on which we are to perform as though there were no deep need of an intimate relationship with the one who is the focus of our activity.
At the same time, God has given me gifts that enable me to be fruitful--just as He has for all believers. These gifts and His wisdom have made it possible for me to meet the challenges I have faced relatively well. Sometimes by virtue of these gifts He has given us ,we forget that we need Him. We become overconfident and forget from where these gifts originated.
But I do need Him. When we forget that we need Him, our Christianity becomes little more than a task maintained by responsibilities and requirements. And we miss the pleasure and wonder of needing Him and being in touch with His presence and power that alone can satisfy,sustain and secure us as an ongoing experience of life.
James4:8
PaulP

No comments: